3.31.2005

Fire, Snow, and Wind

My friend is sitting here playing his guitar (his appartment complex had a fire and they have now taken residence in our basement) and we are talking about worship. How do you plan a worship service? Why is it that style, song choice, and tempo matter? We would like to think it doesn't but I know it does for me and I don't like myself for it. Shouldn't I be able to ascribe worth to God in any setting, with any music - but I have sat in enough worship services that have bored me rather than ignite my passion. I know it is my problem, but what is the solution?

1 comment:

John Lynch said...

If we are to seek (& worship) God with all of our heart, soul, mind, & strength... then it seems to me that worship leaders would do well to speak those languages, right? Caucasion churches seem to do okay with MIND. Charismatics to alright with STRENGTH (i.e. physical). But I think African-American churches have the corner on HEART (i.e. emotions). Tempo, rhythm, volume, flow, etc. ... these are all emotional devices. After all, when are we most "real"? ...Isn't it when we're most emotionally open, connected, vulnerable, even raw?

I hope we take advantage of this postmodern era of dialogue to learn from our African-American brothers & sisters & learn to worship emotionally (& maybe even physically - if we dare)... not just intellectually.

What do you think?